Sunday, October 14, 2012

ACL 2012: Saturday Recap

The thing about Saturday is that it was easily the weakest line-up of all three days and we still had so much fun and listened to so much great music.

No snoozing on the alarms in the morning, we were determined to get there early to start off the day with Wild Child. I have seen them several times around town and most recently at Utopia Fest, and they are always adorable. The skies were overcast and we sat in the grass and let the music wash over us.

Next up were The Wheeler Brothers, which prompted several of my friends to text me saying "I assume you're dancing over at WB?" Indeed, I was. Max and I were both on our feet for this group and if it's possible, I think I love them more every time I see them. They brought out a horn section to accompany them, which is always a great choice for a band.

Despite being overcast, Saturday was hot and muggy, so we took a little respit over at Barton Springs. Papa Bruce had fun swimming around and exploring. I'm sure if we'd left him there and come back hours later he never would have noticed.

We returned to the fest in time for Father John Misty. I'd seen him at SXSW and enjoyed his music. His performance on Saturday was not at all what I expected. He was drunk as a skunk and contorted his body in the most creepy skinny white boy dance moves I've seen in a while. It was fantastic! I'm convinced he Alex Ebert's (of Edward Sharp) long lost hipster brother.

Max had seen Andrew Bird at Coachella and may have said off hand that he wanted to see him again so bad that he wouldn't be above pushing old ladies out of the way. I think I would have liked him more up close, but I did enjoy him from our spot in the back.

And then the rains came.

Today's moment of euphoria was brought to you by The Roots, who were beyond outstanding! I have been rained out of seeing them twice, and Mother Nature did her best yesterday to make it a hat trick, but the show went on, I danced in the rain, and it was perfection! ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!

It was really all downhill from there. We listened to Gotye while I replayed beats from The Roots in my head. Gotye was very percussion heavy at this performance and I'm sure he was musically great, but I just wasn't ready to move on from my hour of bliss with The Roots.

We stayed long enough to catch the beginning of Neil Young and Crazy Horse and then food and dry clothes beat him out.


No comments:

Post a Comment